The 6 Steps To Successfully Build A Commercial Building In Michigan
If you are considering moving for ward with a commercial building in Michigan but not exactly sure what the process involves, RCL Construction Co. would be happy to guide you through the process.
We have narrowed down the process into six simple steps, and each of these steps entails a series of tasks. They include planning/development, design/build, pre-construction, procurement of materials, construction, and post-construction.
Our goal is to make the above processes as seamless as possible for you. Being a top design-build company, we will oversee the entire project from start to finish. Continue reading to find out more about these crucial construction steps.
Step #1: Planning and development
Out of all the phases in the commercial construction process, this is the most crucial, as this is when the budget and location for the project are set. During this step, you will also need to hire a reliable company that specializes in design-build commercial construction services to help streamline the process.
Step #2: Design
Once a foundation has been established – via the plan – the design-build construction company can commence work on the design phase. This is usually where the brainstorming takes place. Some of the notable things that are done during the designing stage include the following:
- Project programming – This entails getting a good picture of the available space, the functional needs, and the flexibility of the commercial building you wish to erect. Construction companies use the building program to provide project owners with an idea of the building’s size, the number of rooms, facility purpose, and other such matters.
- Project feasibility – A feasibility study is conducted to establish if the project site is best suited for the planned project. The construction company will help examine what amenities, such as utility connections, road access, and building orientation, will be needed to make the project a success.
- Schematic designs – This is an in-depth breakdown of the sizes, shapes, textures, patterns, colors, and materials that will be considered to bring to life the construction idea you have.
- Design development – The construction company undertakes research on the various equipment and materials required as well as the associated costs.
- Contract documents – An agreement is drafted to establish the project’s timeline, as well as the costs for each stage of the construction. This will help you monitor any price increases during the building process.
Step #3: Pre-construction
For the pre-construction phase to begin, the project owner will need to give the construction company the green light to proceed. Also, at this stage, the necessary insurance policy and building permits will be obtained.
What’s more, a site investigation will be conducted to ensure that there are no unforeseen complications, such as environmental hazards.
Step #4: Procurement
During the procurement step, the design-build company gathers and secures the building material, labor force, and equipment needed to commence the actual construction.
Purchase orders are drawn to confirm that the materials acquired meet all the project’s specifications and the agreed-upon price. The necessity of the building materials and order of construction usually depends on the commercial building’s design and functionalities.
Step #5: Actual Construction
This is where we turn that old space or grass field into just the right commercial building for your needs. Before the ground is broken, decisions about work hours, site access, quality control, and material storage will be made.
Depending on the building’s functionality and design, the construction phase may include site excavation, setting up of underground utilities, laying the foundation, steel erection, framing, roofing, siding, HVAC, interior work, exterior work, and foundation.
Step #6: Post-construction/closing out the project
Each phase of the commercial project, including the foundation, electrical wiring, plumbing, exterior work, etc., must pass inspection upon completion.
A project punch list is created to identify minor issues such as painting touch-ups, malfunctioned door locks, fixture adjustments, etc. Then final repairs are made accordingly before equipment and furnishings are brought in.
When all the necessary requirements have been met, a certificate of substantial completion is issued, and the building is open for occupancy.
Ready to turn your dream construction project into a reality?
The secret to a smooth commercial building construction process is selecting the right construction company from the start. If you are hunting for a knowledgeable full-service design-build company, RCL Construction Co. has overseen many commercial projects in Michigan over the past 39 years.
To learn more about our commercial building construction process and how we can guide you through the fantastic journey ahead, schedule a consult today with our team of experts.